Recognised as Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (SIRO) by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), New Delhi.
(Recognition No: F.No 11/532/2011-TU-V dated 27 March, 2014)
Establishing a multi - disciplinary advanced Research & Development Centre in Engineering Sciences and creating trained man power.
Promote academic excellence and skills in young Engineers and faculty to take up Research & Development career in emerging areas in Engineering Sciences.
Research & Development activities coupled with academic pursuits provide the knowledge and skills needed to keep an individual abreast of the state - of - art in technology and maintain academic excellence.
Submit Proposals on R&D Projects in areas of National importance in Engineering Sciences and obtain funds from National Agencies like Department of Science & Technology (DST) Department of Earth Sciences (DOES), Department of Environment (DOE) , Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) etc.. and execute the projects successfully in a time bound manner. Also provide technical consultancy and implement joint projects with industry.
|Department|| R&D activity/ Consultancy ||Date and duration ||Name of the organization ||Outlay||Outcome||Publications|
|ECE||Project Title: Investigation of Linear Combinations of GNSS Measurements to Mitigate the Effect of Ionosphere and Multipath PI: Dr.V SatyaSrinivas ||3 Years (Started on 23.09.2015) ||DST, Gov. of India DST File No: SR/FTP/ES-56/2014 ||Rs. 21.5 Lakh||Development of techniques to mitigate Ionosphere and multipath effects||International Journals: 01|
International Conferences: 02
National Conferences: 01 ( Work-in-Progress)
|ECE||Consultancy being rendered to M/s VEM Technologies Pvt. Ltd., (Project title: Design and Development of High Density Electron Emitter for use in Defense) PI: Dr. R.S.Raju||18 months(started on 14.11.2016) ||M/s VEM Technologies Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad||Rs. 6 lakh per annum||Design and Development of High Density Electron Emitter||Work-in-Progress|
|ECE||R&D activity (Project Title: Design & dev. of multi-wavelength laser radar for measurement of clouds and aerosols in the troposphere and lower stratosphere) PI: Dr. M. Satyanarayana Co-PI: G. Sudhakar||3 years and 8 months (03.11.2010 to 02.07.2014)||Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. DST File No: SR/S4/AS: 36/2009 ||Rs. 34.548 Lakh||Project successfully completed. Details of achievements attached ||Journals:05 |
International conferences: 09
Outcome of the projects
Outcome of LIDAR project
Date of commencement:03.11.2010
Date of completion: 02.07.2014
I. Design and development of a multi wavelength and multifunctional lidar as a researchfacility.
II. To Conduct scientific studies of atmosphere as described below
1. To study altitude distribution of aerosols in the troposphere and stratosphere and its association with the physical processes and meteorological conditions prevailing.
2. To study the altitude variation of aerosol size distribution function and its temporal variation, both on long term and short term basis.
Experimental work giving full details of experimental set up, methods adopted, data collected supported by necessary table, charts, diagrams & photographs:
The Lidar system has been designed developed and operationalised for regular scientific studies on aerosols and clouds in the atmosphere.
Schematic diagram of the Lidar system developed is shown below
Detailed analysis of results indicating contributions made towards increasing the state of knowledge in the subject:
i. The Lidar station is setup in the semi urban region in outskirts of Hyderabad city. The location appears to have a different aerosol loading with the sources emanating from local origin as well as due to transport from the city region.
ii. The Lidar system is under regular operation for scientific studies on aerosols and clouds.
iii. The Lidar system has been operated regularly in the early night hours when the sky is relatively clear and free of any rain.
iv. The altitude profiles of aerosol extinction are derived based on the Lidar data obtained during the last 8 months.
v. The monthly and the seasonal variation of the aerosol profiles in the summer and summer monsoon seasons has been studied to understand the effect of various meteorological parameters on the aerosols.
vi. This semi urban location might be loaded with aerosols from the burning of solid waste in some nearby locations and also from some of the infrastructure activities going on at this location.
vii. Studies on the physical properties of cirrus clouds are carried out using the Lidar system
viii. Variations of the cirrus cloud properties at this semi urban location in the outskirts of Hyderabad have been obtained using the Lidar system.
ix. The aerosol and cloud properties are being compared with the other locations.
x. The region around the Lidar station appears to be an interesting location for short term and long term studies on aerosols and clouds.
The ionosphere is an ever changing medium and affects the signals propagating through the medium. The predominant error is the time delay in case of GNSS signals operating in L-band. Most of the applications including aircraft navigation uses single frequency GPS receivers. Therefore, inorder to account for time delay, modelling is essential. Global, regional and local models are being developed for supporting GNSS systems worldwide. In view of this, the research contributionis in the very difficult problem of estimating the real time ionospheric delay in a country like India with large horizontal plasma gradients due to the Equatorial ionisation anomaly. TEC models such as Modified Planar Fit, Minimum-Mean-Square-Error, Kriging, Spline andSpericalHarmonics Function are investigated using seventeen TEC stations (Provided by SAC, ISRO) for suitable ionospheric model for The Indian SBAS, GAGAN system. Proposed a new technique namely ‘anisotropic-IDW with Jackknife’ to model the ionospheric delay variations (Satya et al, 2016).The technique takes into account the increased variability of the ionospheric delay and anisotropic property of the ionosphere. It is observed that the technique outperforms the Krigingand spline models when data are sparse.The results obtained and observations are published in IEEE transaction on Geoscience and Remote Sensing(Satya et al, 2016). At Present the work is in progress on linear combination of GNSS data in mitigating the effect of ionosphere and multipath for precise positioning, a triple frequency approach with new signals like L2C and L5 are being investigated in comparison with existing dual frequency techniques.
Fig. GAGAN Architecture and network of reference stations
Internet of Things (IoT) and Cloud Computing Laboratory
The main objective of the Research and Development activity related to the IoT and Cloud Computing Laboratory at Geethanjali College of Engineering and Technology(GCET) is to design, develop and prototype IoT ideas for a smarter globe.
The term "Internet of Things" (IoT) is used to describe embedded devices (things) with Internet connectivity, allowing them to interact with each other, services, and people on a global scale. This level of connectivity can increase reliability,sustainability, and efficiency by improved access to information. Environmental monitoring, home and building automation and smart grids could be interconnected, allowing information to be shared between systems that affect each other.
The IoT is about physical items talking to each other. Machine-to Machine communication and person-to-computer communication will be extended to things. Technologies that will drive the future Internet of Things include: sensor technologies including Radio Frequency Identification Devices (RFID), smart things, nanotechnology, and miniaturization.
IoT Research Activity @ GCET:
The IoT Inter-disciplinary research activity has faculty from CSE, ECE, EEE, Civil, Mechanical and Mathematics departments working for various aspects of IoT. The team will investigate and explore a variety of emerging devices and technologies involving smart sensing, pervasive connectivity, virtual interfaces, ubiquitous computing, and their potential applications in consumer, retail, healthcare and industrial contexts.
IoT:: Multi-Disciplinary Research Activity
Team Members of the GCET-IoT Cloud Computing Laboratory (IoTCCL)
List of Publications, Contributions and Achievements by the team members of the GCET-IoTCCL Journal Publications:
- Incorporating Computational Intelligence: Performing Data Mining/Analytic tasks.
- Integration of devices/things either through wireless/wired communication.
- Design and Development of Smart Sensing Systems for the IoT environment.
- Incorporating energy harvesting methods for the designed/developed smart sensing devices in the IoT environment.
- Identifying diverse sensors/transducers for the IoT Framework.
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Determining Wellness through an Ambient Assisted Living
Environment," IEEE Intelligent Systems-May 2014,Page(s):30-37,(Acceptance rate for
manuscripts is under 10%, 5 Yr Impact Factor: 2.538) (Thomson Reuters(SCI)-World's leading
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C,Wang R,Rayudu R.K, "Forecasting the behavior of an elderly
using wireless sensors data in a smart home", Elsevier: Engineering Applications of Artificial
Intelligence, Vol: 26, Issue: 10, Page(s): 2641-2652.5 Yr Impact Factor : 1.947 (Thomson
Reuters(SCI)-World's leading journals Review)
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Wireless Sensor Network Based Home Monitoring System
for Wellness Determination of Elderly", IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol: 12, Issue: 06, Page(s):1965 –
1972.5 Yr Impact Factor: 1.758 (Thomson Reuters (SCI)-World's leading journals Review)
- Suryadevara N.K, Gaddam A, Rayudu R.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Wireless Sensors Network Based
Safe Home to Care Elderly People: Behaviour Detection", Elsevier: Sensors and Actuators: A
Physical (2012), Vol: 186, Page(s):277-283.5 Yr Impact Factor: 2.084 - (Thomson Reuters (SCI)-
World's leading journals Review)
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Kelly S.D.T, Gill S.P.S, "WSN-Based Smart Sensors and
Actuator for Power Management in Intelligent Buildings", IEEE Transactions on Mechatronics,
(Early Access Article) : doi: 10.1109 / TMECH . 2014. 2301716.5 Yr Impact Factor: 3.39 (Thomson
Reuters (SCI)-World's leading journals Review)
- Kelly S.D.T, Suryadevara N.K,Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Towards the Implementation of IoT for
Environmental Condition Monitoring in Homes", IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol: 13, Issue: 10, Page(s):
3846 – 3853.5 Yr Impact Factor: 1.758 (Thomson Reuters (SCI)-World's leading journals Review)
- 1. Suryadevara N.K, Gaddam A, Rayudu R.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Wireless Sensors Network Based
Safe Home to Care Elderly People: Behaviour Detection", Elsevier Proceedings of the EuroSensors
XXV-2011, Procedia Engineering: Vol25, Pages: 96-99.
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Wireless sensors network based safe home to care elderly
people: A realistic approach", Proceedings of the IEEE Recent Advances in Intelligent Computational
Systems (RAICS)-2011, DoI: 10.1109/RAICS.2011.6069262, Page(s):001–005.
- Suryadevara N.K, Quazi M.T and Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Intelligent Sensing Systems for measuring
Wellness Indices of the Daily Activities for the Elderly", Proceedings of the Eighth International
Conference on Intelligent Environments (IE'12)-Guanajuato-Mexico-2012, IEEE Computer Society,
- Suryadevara N.K, Gaddam A, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Rayudu R.K, "Wellness determination of
inhabitant based on daily activity behaviour in real-time monitoring using Sensor Networks", IEEE
Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST), 2011, DoI: 10.1109
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S. C, Rayudu R.K., Huang Y.M, "Sensor data fusion to determine
wellness of an elderly in intelligent home monitoring environment", Proceedings of IEEE
International Conference Instrumentation and Measurement Technology (I2MTC)-Austria-2012,
DoI:10.1109/I2MTC.2012.6229645,Page(s): 947 – 952.
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C and Rayudu R.K, "Applying SARIMA Time Series to Forecast
Sleeping Activity for Wellness Model of Elderly Monitoring in Smart Home" Proceedings of the
IEEE 6th International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST), India- 2012,Page(s):157-162.
- Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Wang R, Rayudu R.K and Huang Y.M , "Reliable
Measurement of Wireless Sensor Network Data for Forecasting Wellness of Elderly at Smart Home",
Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Instrumentation and Measurement Technology
(I2MTC)-Minneapolis-2013, Page(s):16-21.(Top 10 of the best student papers).
- Suryadevara N.K, Chen C.P, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Rayudu R.K, "Ambient Assisted Living
Framework for Elderly Wellness Determination through Wireless Sensor Scalar Data", Proceedings of
the IEEE 7th International Conference on Sensing Technology (ICST), Wellington-NZ-2013, Page(s):
- Suryadevara N.K, and Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Smart Healthcare Monitoring System",www.hinz,org.nz.
Health Informatics New Zealand, Pub: 20 Dec 2013. Retrieved on: Thu. 10 Apr 2014.
- Mukhopadhyay S.C, Suryadevara N.K, "Homes for Assisted Living: Smart Sensors, Instrumentation,
Energy, Control and Communication Perspective", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on
Control, Instrumentation, Energy & Communication (CIEC)-Kolkata-India, 2014, ISBN: 978-1-4799-
- Kelly S.D.T, Suryadevara N.K and Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Integration of Zigbee-IPv6 Networks for
Smart Home Sensor Data Transmission to Augment Internet of Things", IB2COM-Australia-2012,
- Gill S.P.S, Suryadevara N.K and Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Smart Power Monitoring System Using
Wireless Sensor Networks", Proceedings of the IEEE 6th International Conference on Sensing
Technology (ICST), India- 2012, Page(s):444-449.
- Kam M.H, Suryadevara N.K, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Gill S.P.S, "WSN Based Utility System for
Effective Monitoring and Control of Household Power Consumption", Proceedings of IEEE
I2MTC 2014 conference, IEEE Catalog number, CFP14IMT-USB, ISBN: 978-1-4673-6385-3,
Page(s):1382 – 1387.
- Quazi, M.T.; Mukhopadhyay, S.C.; Suryadevara N.K.; Huang, Y.M. "Towards the smart sensors
based human emotion recognition", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Instrumentation
and Measurement Technology (I2MTC)-Austria-2012, Page(s):2365 – 2370.
- Alabri, H. M, Mukhopadhyay S. C, Punchihewa G. A, Suryadevara, N.K, Huang Y.M, "Comparison
of applying sleep mode function to the smart wireless environmental sensing stations for extending
the life time",Proceedings of IEEE International Conference Instrumentation and Measurement
Technology (I2MTC)-Austria-2012, Page(s):2634 – 2639.
- Chen C.P, Jiang J A, Mukhopadhyay S.C, Suryadevara N.K, "Performance Measurement in Wireless
Sensor Networks using Time-Frequency Analysis and Neural Networks", Proceedings of IEEE
I2MTC 2014 conference, IEEE Catalog number, CFP14IMT-USB, ISBN: 978-1-4673-6385-3,
- Suryadevara.NK, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "An Intelligent System for Continuous Monitoring of
Wellness of an Inhabitant for Sustainable Future" Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Region 10
Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10 HTC), Chennai-India, Page(s):36-41.
- Suryadevara N.K, Quazi T, Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Smart Sensing System for Human Emotion and
Behaviour Recognition", M.K.Kundu et al. (Eds): PerMIn 2012, Springer: Perception and Machine
Intelligence, Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 7143, pp: 11-22, 2012.
- Suryadevara N.K, Kelly S.D.T, and Mukhopadhyay S.C, "Ambient Assisted Living Environment
Towards Internet of Things Using Multifarious Sensors Integrated with XBee Platform", Smart
Sensors, Measurement and Instrumentation, Vol. 9, Internet of Things: Challenges and
Opportunities, ISBN 978-3-319-04222-0, Springer-Verlag, by S. C. Mukhopadhyay, 2014, pp. 217-
- Mukhopadhyay S.C and Suryadevara N.K, "Internet of Things: Challenges and Opportunities",
Smart Sensors, Measurement and Instrumentation, Vol. 9, Internet of Things: Challenges and
Opportunities, ISBN 978-3-319-04222-0, Springer-Verlag, by S. C. Mukhopadhyay, 2014 pp. 1-18.
- Mukhopadhyay S.C, Suryadevara N.K and Rayudu R.K, "Are Technologically Assisted Homes Safer
for the Elderly", Smart Sensors, Measurement and Instrumentation, Vol. 2, Pervasive and Mobile
Sensing and Computing for Healthcare: Technological and Social Issues, ISBN 978-3-642-32537-3,
Springer-Verlag, by S. C. Mukhopadhyay, and O. Postolache, 2012, pp. 51-68.
- Significant contribution to the book chapters 5 and 6 for the book titled "Intelligent Sensing,
Instrumentation and Measurements", Springer International Publishing, 2013, ISBN: 978-3-642-
News Letter Articles:
- Article titled "Internet of Things: Challenges and Opportunities" by S.C.Mukhopadhyay and N.K.Suryadevara was contributed in the July/August 2014 edition of The European Business
- Article titled "Internet of Things: A Review and Future Perspective" by N.K.Suryadevara and S.C.Mukhopadhyay was contributed in the May/June 2014 edition of The European Business
- Article titled: "An Intelligent Integrated Healthcare Platform for Wellbeing and Independent Living" by By Subhas Mukhopadhyay and Nagender Suryadevara was contributed in the IEEE Life sciences-March - 2013 Issue.
- In News: (http://telecommunications.verticalnews.com/articles/7081324.html)
Date: 06-Jun2-2012, Vertical News: Telecommunication: Study Data from Massey University Update
Knowledge of Sensor Research.